This latest research from leading academics Angela Eikenberry, Jason Franklin, Julia Carboni, and Jessica Bearman at the Collective Giving Research Group provides evidence that giving circles are a growing trend in American philanthropy.
Some of the most significant findings on giving circles in the United States include:
(1) giving circles have tripled in number since 2007,
(2) giving circles have granted up to $1.29 billion,
(3) women are the majority of giving circle members,
(4) giving circles engage a diverse range of donors, and
(5) giving circle funding remains largely local.
This executive summary is a short overview of the research; the full report is also available in Amplifier's resource library.